Teeth Straightening: It's Not Just For Kids
You didn't have your teeth straightened as a child. Is it too late, or should you have orthodontic treatment now as an adult?
Orthodontics is a sub-specialty of dentistry devoted to the study and treatment of improper bites, or malocclusions. Orthodontic treatment has the goal of slowly applying pressure to teeth in a way that moves them into proper alignment in your mouth.
Recommendations are for children to have their teeth assessed for orthodontic treatment before the age of seven. The whole process can be done more easily while their teeth are coming in and their jaws are still growing.
However, if your teeth are overcrowded, you have an overbite or an underbite, or your teeth are misaligned in other ways, it is never too late. If you “missed the boat” on orthodontic treatment before, here are seven reasons to consider doing it now.
- Orthodontic treatment brings teeth, lips and face into proportion, resulting in a beautiful smile.
- An attractive smile contributes to self-esteem, self-confidence and better self-image.
- Because of improved self-esteem, you may see improved social and career success.
- Teeth that are in proper alignment will function and wear better over the years as you age.
- Properly aligned teeth are easier to keep clean, making you less prone to periodontal (gum) disease.
- If you have any missing teeth that need to be replaced, this can be done more effectively if your remaining teeth are put into their correct spacing and position first.
- Current options for treatment include fixed appliances (traditional braces) in which bands and brackets are bonded to the teeth and wires are threaded through them — or as an adult you may be able to use removable clear aligners. These consist of a series of nearly invisible computer-generated clear plastic trays that progressively move the teeth into better alignment.
Take the first step: call our office for an orthodontic evaluation. Having orthodontic treatment as an adult may be just the thing to give you an attitude boost as you move forward in your life.